Question
Posted by: pp | 2007/03/12

Alcohol

Why is it that when I have even one alcoholic beverage I get a headache above my left eye. This is pretty anti social if I have two beers or wine I must go and get a couple of asprins and drink only water from then on but everyone else is unaffected and can enjoy a few drinks and a laugh with the guys and I am made out to be a prude when in actual fact it is a headach.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear pp,

Alcohol is known to be a trigger for headaches in certain individuals. Their bodies react in an abnormal way to the trigger, and the way to treat this is to find out why your body reacts the way it does. To do this you have to have a diagnosis of what structure the pain is coming from.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.