Question
Posted by: K | 2004/11/24

ALCOHOL

I made an appointment with a shrink for an assesment for alcohol abuse. Very nervous at this stage. Can someone please tell me what to expect from the assesment, eg will it include any blood tests and needels. Also what to expect if refeered for a detox and possibly rehab. How long will it take? Is there any medication involved to calm my nerves and help to sleep. There is no way of me turing around now.

Well, newK, the basic assessmernt by a shrink is done by talking. If there is concern that the degree of your alcohol abuse might have caused physical damage, then a psychiatrist ( who is also medically qualified ) might think of doing a physical examination, or might refer you to a GP or general physician for that. If there was reason to be concerned about significant liver damage, they might want to take a modest blood sample to check on how well your liver is functioning. Ask the shrink for an explanation and discussion of treatment plans. "Detox" should take a few weeks, to get you fully withdrawn from the influenc of the alcohol, and fully physically fit, and could well include medication cover for the withdrawal phase, to elp make it more safe and comfortable ; and it should be followed by rehab, with regular visits to a shrink for counselling and support, maybe some modest medication used, and maybe some group work.
Hearty congratulations on your resolve to proceed and not to allow yourself to turn round or avoid ghetting the help that you need. Good luck, and come back to the forum later to tell us how you're getting on.

3
Posted by: Dude | 2004/11/24

Hi K,

Best of luck hey! eveything is going to be fine... u half way there already...

Cheers
Dude

Reply to Dude
Posted by: Tom Boy | 2004/11/24

Hi there i am new here and have been through the rehab process and believe me i am not sorry at all that i went and it has only made me a better and stronger person, you must remember that if you do decide to go to rehab it must be your own decision and that your are going there to better your own life and not to impress anyone else! The minimum time you are most likely to spend in rehab is 3 weeks! And believe me it is worthwile and money well worth spent, as long as you keep yourself strong and healthy!

Forget about all the needles and the tests because you are the only person that will really know whether you have an alcohol problem or not and during your rehab process you will recognize how far your addiction is!

So take advice from someone who has been there, done that, got the alcohol free certificate and cap!!!!

Good luck mate and keep me posted!

Go for rehab and you wont be sorry!!!

Reply to Tom Boy
Posted by: K | 2004/11/24

Not sure what the full treatment entails but I am sure that you can bank on being in rehab for at least 6 weeks.

Please may I ask that you use a different nick?

Reply to K