Question
Posted by: Connie | 2006/07/17

Alana - WARNING

Alana has offered free online counselling, and claims to be doing a doctorate in Psychology.

To those who may be tempted: see posts 2614, 2615, and 2617. Alana in these posts is 20, a student, uses the same e-mail address, and clearly has her own difficulties. She needs help. Don't be fooled into seeing her as capable of providing the sort of help you'd expect from a professional.

To Alana: as far as I know, it is illegal to claim qualifications you don't possess. Doing a doctorate suggests you are a qualified psychologist, registered with the Health Professions Council. At the age of 20 you are probably still an undergraduate. At least provide us with your HPCSA registration number, as evidence for your claims.

Alana, you said you had lost your parents at the age of 5, and that you have seroius problems with food at the moment. Please seek help from someone qualified as a psychologist or psychiatrist. Once you've sorted out some of your personal difficulties you may be in a far stronger position to help others. Personal experience can be a helpful source of empathy for others, but if it's not properly looked at it can cause you to become so deely involved in other people's problems that you are unable to separate yourself from them. That can be very destructive and damaging, both to you and them.

A very wise, thoughtful and helpful response, Connie. If Alana the would-be counsellor wants to convince people she can be useful, it's up to her to answer satisfactorily the good questions that have been asked --- it's not my task to phone around the country checking up on her. I have already checked her claim to be a psychologist for H24, and found that this claim is untrue.
It seems there may be two Alanas or one --- but the message from the person saying they're a young student with anorexia, and the one claiming to be a counsellor, came from the identical IP address. Alana may well have been sincere and genuinely wanting to be helpful --- but there is a world of diference between helping as a volunteer at Lifeline, where there should be more senior and more wualified and experienced supervisors available if things get sticky, and trying to be an independent counsellor, especially via email which is a very difficult medium in which to work.
The planned merger between the unions of shrinks and accountants has been postponed.

7
Posted by: Sally | 2006/07/17

Alana, how you explain that the "other" Alana who posted from the same IP address you are using? Who has your privy to your pc, your passwords for your email address, etc. Unless you are schitzo....and don't remember one personality from the other.

Reply to Sally
Posted by: Paul | 2006/07/17

Accountants and Shrinks unite!

Reply to Paul
Posted by: Alana | 2006/07/17

Someone used my name!

I am not a counc, i am the 20 year old anorexic student. And im into accounting, not psychology!

Reply to Alana
Posted by: Lady of the Lake | 2006/07/17

Connie, I think you should get a doctorate's degree. Your reserach is outstanding.

You might have saved some poor person from relaying personal information to a complete stranger who is dishonest. There is no guaranteed confidentiality so I would also be weary of sharing anything with Alana.

Thanks for the warning. I hope the right people see this message. I also think Alana needs some guidance. She may have shot herself in the foot! Oops.

Reply to Lady of the Lake
Posted by: anon | 2006/07/17

See post 2683 CS has made a comment. Someone from H24 should call Lifeline JHB and enquire whether she is a counsellor there.

Reply to anon
Posted by: ???? | 2006/07/17

Why is CyberShirink not saying anything about Alana? Sure he should know if this person is working for lifeline or sometihng.

Reply to ????
Posted by: Anelda | 2006/07/17

I Agree!

I think we should leave her, she has her own difficulties to work through!

I hope she gets help,

Reply to Anelda