Question
Posted by: Avril | 2005/12/13

Airplane infections

Do you have a remedy for avoiding the flu and colds which seem to attack one when flying. I recently flew home from Cape Town and there were many passengers coughing and sneezing on board. Now I have flu/cold which is just not going away. I did read somewhere about the preventative measures with Vit C but cant seem to find the article. Hope you can assist.

Dear Avril,
You can take vit C 1000 mg per day ( but not if you are on the contraceptive pill - may influence the efficacy) or immunoboosters to help you build your immunity ( something like Viral choice C). On an airplane where air is recycled, it is difficult not to get in some germs, but you could wear a surgical mask ( if you are really serious about it !) or take some saline nose spray with you to rinse your nose with during the flight. Wash your hands often, don't rub your eyes or nose or touch your face with your hands if you can help it.