Question
Posted by: PIP | 2005/07/12

Aids please........doc

How soon after you have been invected with HIV will the blood test show? What are the first simptomes you can expect if infected?

PIP, a PCR test is more than 90% sensitive after 5 days and will give a definite result after 14 days. A 4th generation ELISA test is positive within 3-4 weeks and a follow up after 3-6 months will give a definite result.
As far as the symptoms are concerned, some people develop symptoms and signs within 2-4 weeks of being infected, but not all do. These include the following:
• Fever
• Malaise
• Rash
• Joint pain
• Swollen lymph glands
This will clear up after 3 to 14 days and is usually followed by seroconversion within 1 to 3 months. If you have more questions please post them as a new question to ensure that I receive them. Good luck.

1
Posted by: X. | 2005/07/12

Hi PIP,
I have heard that if you have an ELISA test it can be conclusive after 6 weeks, but should get tested to confirm at 3 months and maybe even 6 months! I dont think there are really symptoms but I have heard of fever and flu and sore throats start up in a few weeks then subside.
I am not the Doc, I am just telling you what I have heard through my experince. Take his advice rather.
X.

Reply to X.