Question
Posted by: scared | 2008/06/11

aids-phobia?

I think i have an irrational fear of aids. My ex boyfriend and i have been seperated for more than a year now, we both went for hiv tests before we started a sexual relationship and it was negative. still i cant shake the feeling that somehow he gave hiv to me. if i don't check my emails regurarly i fear i received an email of him saying that he is hiv positive. If i get calls of an unknown number on my phone i am almost sure it is going to be somebody telling me that i have aids. every headache or skin irritation i have i can relate back to the fact that i am convinced that i have hiv. is there something as aids phobia?, am i irrational or are there some grounds for my fears? In the past i have gone for numerous hiv tests because i convincd myself that i got it but i want to stop this behaviour now. are there other people like me out there?

Such a problem does indeed exist. As for HIV, if he didn't have it, he couldn't give it to you. Your whole description sounds typical of an absessive personality or even an OCD, Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. But dont look for a group of similar excess worriers, to worry together --- see a good local psychologist, preferably one using CBT methods, and have this treated, to get the matter back into perspective