Question
Posted by: Mzwandile | 2004/01/28

AIDS criminal law

Can someone explain to us what this new proposed law are gonna do to us when we thought we have enough stigmatism on this condition?

Expert ImageHIV Peer Forum

I do not think that the law will be passed. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and others that you have sex with from HIV infection. as long as you adhear to safe sex principles you should have no problems

5
Posted by: Mzwandile | 2004/01/30

If you are HIV+ and practise safe sex, there is no need to reveal if you don't want to because you are careful enough. I mean if you tell your partner that you should use a condom because you don't know who has HIV between the two of you, that is good enough in my books, but I am not the government.

Reply to Mzwandile
Posted by: JOJO | 2004/01/30

Lets face it, for a HIV+ person to have sex with someone without telling him or her about his status is wrong.

On the other hand, HIV- people can't just rely on HIV+ people to be careful. IF this impression gets around you may see an increase in HIV.

Draconian laws like that will increase the stigma attached to HIV+ people and cause people to avoid testing. For some reason the South African government think they can fix everything by just introducing new laws............

This must be stopped

Reply to JOJO
Posted by: malaika | 2004/01/29

I must say that this proposed law pissed the hell out of me.I think its just going to be a circus (like the Desai case).It will only isolate us even more.Just when things were getting a bit better with the death of Khabzela and people accepting him regardless now the govt wants to change the tide.Why don't they implement more productive projects like hiv testing every six months in universities and colleges especially those with boarding facilities.Coz thats where the youth are at high risk and if they make a routine out of it then when students graduate they also take with them this idea of responsibility.This is done in places like Cuba and stats show that it brings down the numbers.
Its just an idea.

Reply to malaika
Posted by: Inc | 2004/01/28

Okay, I read the story... and it sucks! The government can't even deal with real rapists and criminals, but they want to treat HIV+ as such for not revealing their status to prospective partners! There are HIV+ people who will not risk infecting others! However, there are those vindictive HIV+ people seeking revenge who will do just that... but those are usually criminals! Everyone is responsible for their own health!
Making such a law is ignorant!

Reply to Inc
Posted by: Inc | 2004/01/28

Can you tell me what the law says please?

Reply to Inc