Posted by: Mina | 2008/12/01


Live in Pretoria. My domestic help has been identified with AIDS last week. She' s not on a medical aid. My GP gave her 1 months ARV that I bought from my local pharmacy. Where do I take her to get ARV medicine on a governent programme? What is the process to follow?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Dear Mina
Get her to Kalafong or HF's HIV clinic as soon as possible, they will give her ARV's and preventative medication for TB. You can help her by getting her something like Sibusiso ready food ( ask your pharmacy to order for you- it is expensive) or buying her something like Nutramen -T at Pick and pay to give extra nutrition. If possible you can also get her some Moducare to support her immune system. As soon as they are on ARV's the viral load is very low and she is not a risk to you or your family. See

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/05/01

How possible is it that One Pasrtner be positive while the other remails negative after five years of marriage and with kids.

Reply to Anonymous
Posted by: concerned | 2008/12/01

Hi there
You are fortunate that your domestic was honest with you regarding her HIV status. THat should make your situation much easier to manage.
My domestic has AIDS, denies that she is sick and refuses to take ARV' s! I accidently found out her status when her husband was treated with TB.
If she takes her ARV' s and has an responsible attitude regarding her condition you should not be alarmend - BUT I was warned by three different medical doctors that you should be extrememly vigilant especially if you have babies or small children in the house. It is not only the HIV, but also diseases like TB, pheumonia, meningitis and fungal infections that pose a threat to your family.

Reply to concerned
Posted by: Taps | 2008/12/01

Dear Mina, all government hospitals provide ARV' s. Kalafong, Mamelodi, Garankuwa and Pretoria Academy provides all services related to HIV/Aids, she will need to do another test to identify her cd4 count which will be monitored every 3/4 months. She can only go on ARV' s if her cd4 count is below 200, if its above that she will need to live a healthy lifestyle (to quit drinking and smoking in case she does) and also engage in a good nutirition. She will need to identify if she has HIV or has it progressed to Aids like you mention, if she follow the information above she will leave a very healthy prolonged life. One more thing is she will be required to always use protection to avoid re-infection in case she is sexual active (married or single). Good luck.

Reply to Taps

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.