Question
Posted by: Kyle | 2007/06/12

AI's???

Hi, i was wondering if u could give me more info on Aromatase Inhibitors (AI's). Many people at my gym are using these and I want to know whether its safe to use and what purpose it has in building muscle? By the way im 25 years old and my goal is to build muscle/gain weight.

Hi Kyle

I can't believe guys use this stuff, it boggles my mind. AI's are used in the treatment of certain cancers, because they lower the body's estrogen levels. You may have known this already.

The problem is that these are serious class drugs, they have some pretty major consequences. This is because any time you mess around with an entire hormone system, you will see knock on effects later on. And while they are relatievely new drugs, and so not that much is known about them, there is still a real risk of some pretty nasty effects. Bone loss is one that is known, and others include blood clots, stroke, and endometrial cancer. But much less is known about the long-term side effects, which to me, is a reason not to take them.

Unfortunately, the reality is that they probably do cause muscle growth, and that's why they're used. But the doctor who prescribes them (or makes them avaiable) should have his licence suspended for unethical behaviour and the people who take them are playing with fire, it's unbelievable to me that people use this stuff.

Ross