Question
Posted by: Despret | 2005/07/22

AI - Need answers please - For Private

We wanted to import sperm from Portugal seeing my husband is Portuguese. And I promised him that if we decide on this that we will Import donor sperm. But what are the procedure for importing sperm? I still want to do this if this will keep my husband happy, at the end of the day it will be his child and my child will only know one father, so I will do whatever it takes. If you can please give me some guide lines on how to do this I will really appreciate it. Nobody of my friends or family knows this they think I have to go for IVF. And we prefer it this way.

There is a law that controls the importing of humnan tissue, including sperm, from other countries, so it may not be legal. Check with a lawyer first.

2
Posted by: Private | 2005/07/25

You can import sperm and don't need to consult a lawyer. We used www dot cryobank dot com - an american cryobank. They export sperm all over the world and are a very big bank. You can search for donors with portugese decent and you will get a huge selection to choose from. I'm sure portuguese banks will be smaller and perhaps not used to exporting, so a US bank is best.

We sent on to the website and read all the info there. Then we emailed them to make sure they can ship to SA. They said they have shipped to SA before and there's no problem. they will tell you everything you need to do. The biggest part is choosing a donor. Once chosen, you fill in all the required forms, give your credit cards details and when ready, ask them to ship to your fertility clinic. I tracked the shipment with fedex to make sure it was on track and didn't get lost. I also contacted fedex's imports department to arrange pre clearance so the shipment didn't get stuck in customs for days. It really is a simple process and the bank will help you each step of the way. I'm so happy we went the US donor route. Good luck to you!

Reply to Private
Posted by: Sparks | 2005/07/22

Hi Despret

Sorry - I don't know how to import sperm from Portugal but (I'm sure you've probably thought of all this ) is it not an option to use a sperm donor here who is of Portugese decent? They do try to match the donors traits ie hair colour, eye colour, race etc to the couple wanting the sperm. Would this not work for you or is your husband set on the sperm actually coming from Portugal? Have you tried to search for fertility clinics in Portugal on the internet and asking them? Is it not maybe an option for you to actually go to Portugal for the treatment (it would probably be cheaper to have IVF here).

I really hope you find a solution soon. Good luck!!

Sparks

Reply to Sparks