Question
Posted by: Bienks | 2007/05/28

AI and ovulation

I went for the first time for AI in March. I started my cylcle on the 25th of Feb and my Gynae did the AI on the 13th of March. That was 17 days after my first day of my cycle. I read on a few letters that you ovulate 14 days after the first day of your cycle. So I'm trying again this month. I phoned my Gynae and told her when I want to do the Insemination. Was it too late to do the Insimination 17days after my cycle? I was just wondering why she has done it when she knew it's too late. I don't want to ask her, as she's doing me a very big favour by doing this for me!!!!

The way to time an AI is to work out exactly when you ovulate (Day 14 is the average). This is usually done by scanning around`Day 10-12 and often triggering ovulation with an injection helps to be exact about the timing.

3
Posted by: Bienks | 2007/05/30

Went to the Gynae yesterday and the Insemination will be done on day 14. So I just hope for the best....

Reply to Bienks
Posted by: Bienks | 2007/05/28

Hi Dee

I always ovulate on D13/14. When I went the Tuesday for the Insimination, I already ovulated on the Sunday. I usually go with the discharge... And this last 2 months I ovulated on day 14. That is also when my one ovary starts to pain. Never on day 17. I also found out on this site that sperm can stay alive in your body for 5-7 days. So is it not safer to do the Insimination earlier? So that the sperm is there when the egg gets released? I use donor sperm, so I thought maybe she did it that day because they first had to order the sperm from Cape Town.

Reply to Bienks
Posted by: Dee | 2007/05/28

You need to have a scan to see how big your follicles are. You need a follicle of around 18mm to ovulate. Its the only way to get an accurate timing for AI. I had my AI on CD19 but that was because I tend to ovulate late and they could see this from the scan. Do you know for sure that you ovulate on CD14? You can also buy those ovulation test kits to see when you will be ovulating.

Reply to Dee