Posted by: Puppy love | 2008/09/17

Agility for later - male or female best?

I am getting a new little addition to the family next week, a red and white border collie male. I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if the boys are just as well suited for agility as the girls? I know it' s a strange question but all my experiences at dog shows seem to be the females doing agility more than males? Any ideas?

Also, the best puppy food I should start him on?

Dear Puppy love

No idea about the better sex for agility. Food: Hills, Eukanuba, Royal Canin, Ultradog, Vets Choice are all good makes.

Posted by: Puppy love | 2008/09/26

Yes, I didn' t actually mean AS SOON AS he gets out of puppy class obviously he will only start later......thats what im taking him to a dog club for....guidence and training. But thanks for your ' help' .

Reply to Puppy love
Posted by: Karen | 2008/09/19

When he gets out of puppy class? I think not. You cannot start agility until the dog' s growth plates have stopped growing. You can cause damage by starting too young.

Reply to Karen
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/18

I have had my dogs on Ultra Dog, Montego, Eukanuba, Royal Canin and Vet' s Choice.

Best value for money in my opinion is Vet' s Choice.

And my previous comment was regarding training in general.

Good luck.

Reply to WR
Posted by: Puppylove | 2008/09/17

Thanks WR!!! That makes me feel really excited to start with him - when he gets through puppy classes that is.

I reckon I am going with Vets Choice or Ultra dog, I have heard the most positive things about those types.

Reply to Puppylove
Posted by: WR | 2008/09/17

In my opinion: If you are female, a male dog usually works better and if you are male, a female dog.

Reply to WR