Question
Posted by: Peaches | 2004/12/17

Ageing and love handles

Is it possible to actually, really get rid of love handles, irrespectiveof age ? I'm 38, have been doing weight training for 6 months now, gained 4kg's of what I hope to God is muscle, ( Ok, you can see it !), but my love handles seem to be getting bigger ! I've figured out that some of it's due to the back/glute muscles developing and almost pushing the lovehandles outward, but is it possible to get rid of these pesky things ?! Am I doomed to have them as a natural progression of getting older ? or are there 40-ish womem out there who have managed to lose them ? I struggle with cardio, it's taken me ages to work up to a lousy 20 minute run at a gradient/incline of 8, but I'm getting there....what's next, lipo ? PLEASE HELP !!!

Expert ImageBodybuilding

Peaches,

Grip the skin of your love handles with your fingers and see-is there excess fat or is it primarily muscle? If it is fat then you can surely still train it away. If it is muscle then you may be training incorrectly. I've seen some guys with 7% body fat who have muscular love handles-this comes from training the abdominal muscles incorrectly.

Do that test and then let me know with a new posting in the new year.

Keep well,

Conrad Booysen-Biokineticist