Posted by: Bev Esterhuizen | 2011/04/06

Age-related macular degeneration

I would appreciate your assistance in this regard.
My mum is 67 and has always taken good care of her health.
For a few years my mum has been attending an opthalmologist, referred to by her optomotrist because she was getting floaters in her eyes. The optthalmologist advised her that she had slight deterioration in the retina, but that there was nothing to worry about. Every time she went for follow up checks all seemed ok with my mum''s eyesight. Recently my mum had been getting a black dot in the centre of her eye and straight lines appeared wavy. On the most recent visit to the opthalmologist he said she wouldn''t have macular degeneration because she didn''t have blood behind her eye, just fluid and he advised her to see a retina specialist. The retina specialist said she has advanced macular degeneration after all. My mum is extremely distressed and cannot understand, why after all this time the first opthalmologist did not pick up any signs of this disease and something could have been done sooner rather than later to have helped my mum in this regard. Do I phone the first specialist and put forward to him this question. Specialists can be very vague in this regard and I am afraid if I phone he might not be helpful at all. Please could you advise in this regards. My mum asked the second specialist why this disease wasn''t picked up initially and he just kept quiet which has made my mum very distraught about everything. If you could advise in this regard it would be appreciated.


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberDoc

Bev Esterhuizen

If you are not receiving adequate answers from your specialist, you can contact the South African Medical and Dental Association and report a complaint.

It is imperative that the retina specialist treats your mother's macular degeneration to stop the degeration.


Dr Anrich Burger

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.