Question
Posted by: Martie | 2008/01/10

Again the querie about the small ticks

On the 3rd of January I posted a question, but it was not answered by you. I hereby include it again as I am very curious to know WHAT these extremely small ticks can be? Please could you give me more info on these small ticks?

Copy of previous post:
Posted by: Martie
Message:
We live on a smallholding with LOTS of ticks. There are veld on the smallholdings bordering us, even though our grass are kept short. Anyway, I am used to finding all kinds of ticks on the dogs, flat brown ones, banded legged ones, big blue fat ones, etc. We just dip and frontline as necessary. But now, after we have been there for 11 years I found something new on the dogs. They are covered with the smallest ticks imaginable. They start at just visible to the naked eye to about one and a half millimeters when swollen and full of blood. When I pull them off (because the bite and stay at that fixed site) I can pop them between my fingernails so they are soft-bodied and fat when full. What are these funny ticks? Will Frontline work on them too? As my dogs sleep with me I have also found a few on myself.
Martie
Date: 3/1/2008

These sound like immature ticks. Some people call them pepper ticks becaus ethey look like grains of pepper. They are a real nuisance. Yes Frontline should work on them.

3
Posted by: tania | 2008/01/17

Agree with Cybervet - immatures - see if you can see if they have 6 or 8 legs - if 6, then they are larvae -remember one fully engorged female adult tick - depending on species, can lay from 2,000 to xxxx eggs - hence you have these eggs hatching on your property, larvae need food, so find the closest dog or other, they later molt, and become nymphs - 8 legs, again engorge, molt, and then become 8 legged adults.
Weekly Dipping often works better - as little ticks are all over body, and dip gets there quicker to kill - to prevent the next stage of the tick. Get rid of these little guys, as if not, they become the bi guys.

Reply to tania
Posted by: Martie | 2008/01/11

Thanks, I am in northern Pretoria. I would love to know what they are.

Reply to Martie
Posted by: Jean | 2008/01/11

Hi Martie

I know the ticks you mean as I have encountered them too. However, for the life of me I cannot find out what they are called. The only place that I have found them is in East London. Perhaps that will help someone else to identify them? (At the time I think I was told that they are called Bubble Ticks, but that could just have been that person's name for them).

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Reply to Jean