Question
Posted by: Imogen | 2007/08/10

afternoon hunger pangs

Hi Diet Doc
I keep getting these really bad hunger pangs in the afternoon and as much as l try not to give in to them l inevitably dive into a mugg and bean muffin or some cereal or something unhealthy! Then l feel guilty and sick with myself.
Is there a Protein Shake or something l could allow myself that wont pile on the pounds but keep that appetite at bay??
Thanks very much!!

Dear Imogen
If you get very hungry in the afternoon this could be an indication that you suffer from low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia) and it may be a good idea to ask your gp to send you for tests to determine if you suffer from hypoglycaemic or insulin resistance. On the other hand your meals may be too low in energy and low-GI (glycaemic index) carbs to sustain you during the afternoon. If you eat a low-GI snack like fat-free yoghurt with a fruit, or fat-free cottage cheese on Provita or 30g of mixed nuts and dried fruit, you should find that you can last out the afternoon. But if this condition persists then please have the tests done and see a dietitian for a diet that either addresses low blood sugar or insulin resistance. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.