Question
Posted by: Ishak | 2005/11/30

Afternoon Fatique

Dear DietDoc,
Can you please recommend something that I can eat at work? Every day work from 3pm on I battle to get through to 5pm, It's like my body wants a bit of energy. Is there something that I can eat that will get me through the day? I normally have 4 to 6 slices of bread with peanut butter and jam at work, but it some times does tend to give me a bit of heartburn. P.S I cannot eat anything that contains Lactose or any sparkling drinks.

Dear Ishak
You may be suffering from hypoglycaemia or low blood sugar. To combat that 3 pm dip in energy I would recommend that for lunch you also try eating wholewheat or rye bread (not white bread) and adding some protein foods such a boiled egg, or lean meat or fish with a salad to lower the glycaemic load of the meal and prevent hypoglycaemia. Then at 3 pm eat some carbohydrate (like Provitas or another slice of rye bread) with protein (boiled egg or peanuts) and/or dried fruit (dates, raisins, etc) to prevent the dip in blood glucose levels. Foods with a low glycaemic index (GI) help to prevent low blood sugar. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.

1
Posted by: Ishak | 2005/12/02

Thanks for the reply, I will most definitely give it a try.
Ishak

Reply to Ishak