Question
Posted by: dark_angel | 2004/10/26

After myomectomy

I have written so many times, I stopped counting. It all started months ago with heavy bleeding, which led to the discovery of a huge fybroid (5 x 4.5), and that lead to a myomectomy just over 6 weeks ago (on the 13th of September). My question? Well, eversince the myomectomy there's been constant spotting. It went on for 2 weeks, stopped for a week and a half, and returned. It's enough to be a nuisance, but not period strength (for lack of better words). It seems to be getting a wee bit worse. The doctor put me on Yasmin, which I've been taking religiously, skipping the placebo ones. I'm supposed to start taking them this cycle (which is only in about 2 odd weeks). Is this bleeding / spotting normal? There's usually nothing when I wake up, but then it starts, continues through the day, til tonight again. It's not heavy at all. When I went for my checkup at 4 weeks (2 weeks ago), the doctor said it could be old blood that is coming down now... Still, I'd feel better if a second opinion confirmed that.

I suspect that your fibroid encroached on the womb lining. When it was removed, the womb lining obviously needed time to repair itself and this could result in the spotting. The only way to know for sure what was causing it would be to have a hysteroscopy, but it is probably a bit soon for this to be necessary. Most operations take about 6-8 weeks to heal. I would suggest you give it a bit longer.