Question
Posted by: victor | 2006/04/06

After I recovered from Meningitis

I have been out of the hospital for 3 years now, but I still feel very light headache especially when I am worried, But anyhow my main problem is that since meningitis attack I struggel to remember what happened few hours ago, I forget almost everything at everytime, including people's names, which I live with and see daily. I'm no more effective at work anymore and i'm afraid this might cost me a Job.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Victor,

If the meningitis was 3 years ago, then the problem you are having now is most likely unrelated. The meningitis may have started a process that is self-sustaining, and one has to try and identify and treat this problem.

Memory loss does sometimes occur in people suffering with headaches, but when the headaches are successfully treated, it usually improves.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.