Question
Posted by: Astro | 2007/12/11

African Grey suddenly very nervous

We adopted 2 birds, 1 ring neck, the other an African grey, the ring neck has had no problems and settled well but the african grey has suddenly become very aggressive and nervous. (after weeks of being fine and seeming to have settled well).

When let out of his cage he will go to the top furtherest corner and sit there for hours. he doesnt like being taken off the cage to his play stand anymore and gets very upset when we try picking him up to put him to bed or move him (he growls, moves away then flys off only to crash into something, often bumping his head.)
He gets very nervous when people enter the room or when there is sudden movement or loud noise.

When he stretches his wings i can see there are feathers missing from one wing (compared to the other, several large feathers have gone). he also sometimes holds that wing in an awkward way.

What do you make of his behaviour and wing?
I know he will get stressed if I had to put him in an unkwnown container and travel to the vet, where he will be stressed more by being in an unknown place with strangers, so want to eliminate further nerves, and frustration by getting your opinion before putting him in that situation (if it is called for)

(Should be just start from the beginning as with a baby bird, to build his confidence and trust)

It sounds as if his wing feathers were clipped to prevent him flying away. Often a few featers in a row are clipped leaving some on either side to keep the wing looking normal.

1
Posted by: Carol | 2007/12/11

How long have you had the grey ???? Greys can be very odd and the smallest things can upset them ... I think you need to get that wing issue dealt with ASAP .. yes its going to be stressful and traumatising but he could have an injury that is causing this behaviour.

After you have dealt with the wing issue then you can try again , and yes I would go the same route as if he were a baby and you are settling him in .

Have you moved anything in the room he is kept in ??? has anything changed in his cage ????

My grey was well socilized as a baby and he has become used to me changing his cage decoration , and I move him around in various parts of the house, he is also used to cats/dogs/chcikens etc but I have done this since he was 4 months old so nothing bugs him ... but the problems you describe are typical of a grey that hasnt had much socilization and people contact , but deal with the wing first and then you can repost and we can help you further .

Good luck my email addy is carolm1 at telkomsa dot net if you want to chat further.

Reply to Carol