Question
Posted by: Paulina | 2004/10/11

African Grey not eating

We have an 7 month old African grey named Rodger, for the past three days he hasn't eaten his sunflower seeds, but yet will still eat his pumpkin and so on just not his seeds. He is still very happy and still talking and singing, is there a need for concern.

I would watch him carefully. Some greys go off one part of the diet for a week or two, for no apparent reason (they can be very finickity), but sometimes going off the seed part of the diet can indicate a digestive upset or other disease. I also recommend that seeds do not make up the majority of the diet - it should be seen more as a treat than a major food group. One of the complete pelleted diets would make a good base (60% of the diet), with fresh fruit and dark green/orange veggies making up the rest. Stay away from avocado, caffeine, chocolate, salt and parsley. Lettuce is a natural laxative, so large amounts can cause diarrhoea.
If you are worried, it might be better to take him for a checkup at an avian veterinarian.

Stay well
Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

4
Posted by: Jenny | 2004/10/13

Hi there,

I had the same problem with my parrot not the same breed at that age also went off fruit did not want any but it passed, it does help if you tempt them by pretending to eat it yourself. What "MOMMY" does it okay.

Reply to Jenny
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/12

Hi K - the vet's answered the question in the meantime... I left those out because we were talking about fruits/vegs.

Incidentally, chocolate is toxic to dogs, too, while we're on the subject. The doggie-chocs you buy in the shops are really just fats, with a tiny bit of choc flavouring in them... personally, I think they exist only to make dog moms and dads feel virtuous because they're spoling their babies so nicely! I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole....

Reply to Chill
Posted by: K | 2004/10/12

I also either heard or read somewhere that SALT and CHOCOLATE are never to be given to a parrot, can you verify this please Chill?

Reply to K
Posted by: Chill | 2004/10/12

You say 'pumpkin and so on', I take it he gets a whole lot of different fruits and vegs?

There are schools of thought that say that this is sufficient for a parrot.

Personally, I believe in as wide a range of (appropriate) foods as possible... including bits of cheese, chicken bones, hard-boiled egg, nuts, even dog biscuits (ovals) which my bird really loves.

As long as your bird is happy and lively I don't believe you should worry too much.

Just in case, and for anyone else reading this, remember NEVER to give him avocado, because this could kill him.

Reply to Chill