Question
Posted by: Henk | 2007/05/02

African Grey Gyms

I'm looking for a wooden gym for my African Grey. Does anybody know a shop or manufacturer in Cape Town? I've seen some in the USA, but they don't ship to SA. Thanks

Not seen one locally, sorry.

4
Posted by: KAZ | 2007/05/03

Carol you made me laugh about the bird playing with the kittens. Scruff thought food when he approached my Timneh African Grey until he bit Scruffs back paw. Now Scruff walks circles around Kiewiet if Kiewiet walks through from the kitchen to the lounge area. Bostick at that age if you remember used to at every opportunity try a dwak the bird.

Carol you gave me a great idea what I can do with some old small baskets that I have lying about. Kiewiet has shredded all the thick strings on his swing which by the way he does not like he hates the motion of it. My father made a gym for Kiewiet and he put ringlets on it Kiewiet will not get on them but will get on one of the branches and pluck at it that it jingles. I wander what he will do if I got a ladder. I can't wait until the end of the year when I can finally buy Kiewiet his big cage that I can then walk into as well. It's my bonus month it costs R2500. I have also been saving like hell. It will have to have wheels on it so we can move it about. I think he will go ape in that cage. He did start out being in a budgie cage by the first owners, the second owners put him in a proper parrot cage and we bought him with the cage and food for a good price. So if we get this cage he will think he is in heaven.

Reply to KAZ
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/02

Thanks for pointing that out..... do a google search for safe wood.... Im in Natal so guava and mango are plentiful and safe.

Another toy that Phoenix likes ( Timneh) is a straw bsket filled with odd types of junk .. pegs, beads, bells, wingnuts and scews .... plastic children tools..... and in amongst the junk i also put peanuts .. he has a ball..........................

a tissue box is another one ... once again with treats .... the toilet roll is a great game .... stuffed with bits of paper...

He also likes to play with my kittens but that isnt recommened .... poor birdie is quite dilly:)

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Chill | 2007/05/02

Sounds like me, Carol - my bird plays with the most amazing things - his special favourites are plastic bottle tops, especially ones with moving parts that he can demolish, like those pull-up sports drinks ones. He's also learned to drink juice from a bottle top - holds it like a little cup.

Give yours the centre of a toilet roll some time, if you haven't already - they make the most AMAZING mess and have a ball.

Henk, if you follow Carol's advice, make sure the type of tree or branch you use is not toxic - don't use pine, for example, or avocado - I'm not 100% certain exactly which woods are safe.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2007/05/02

You dont have to buy one they cost a damm fortune ....my hubby chopped down a guava tree .. stuck it in a pipe and put it on a stand .....and my grey loves his tree ... I have toys on it for him .... ropes, telephone book, adding machine tape , dog chew toys, bells,

put peanuts or similar treats on the tree that will teach him to forage

Reply to Carol