Question
Posted by: Sand | 2004/10/21

African Grey

My friend has 18 pairs of African greys he has been trying to breed them for the last 11/2 years they are 4 years old. He has a pair in each cage but they dont seem to be Breeding. How long does it take for them to Breed?

It can take a while for pairs to breed - they need to settle, and have just reached sexual maturity. You'll have to ensure the birds are receiving a balanced diet (not only seed), and breeding pairs often need to have shade netting in front of the enclosures to encourage breeding (they like their privacy). Some pairs also never bond - African greys can be very particular- many breeders will let all the birds into one big enclosure so they can choose their mates, and then pair them up.
I suggest your friend joins one of the many bird breeding societies - they can be founts of information.

Dr Willemien van Wyk
Bird and exotic animal veterinarian

1
Posted by: Davina | 2004/10/23

Any wild animal in captivity is going to struggle to breed because of stress.

Your friend should make their environment as close as possible to their natural habitat and not interfere

Reply to Davina