Question
Posted by: betty | 2004/11/09

Afraid so Afraid

I'm afraid of flying, going up or down in a cablecar, being in a car accident, people breaking into the house while I'm sleeping at night. The idea of bungee jumping and the like sounds to me like a nightmare rather than a thrill. At night I lay and think of all the bad things that could have happened but didn't - so it may still.....glooooory.... Why am I so AFRAID?

OK, bungee jumping is an entirely unnecessary activity, and worth avoiding for most of us, as well as entirely normal to fear. But it sounds as if you are otherwise describing an anxiety state, maybe with phobic anxiety features, which can be very successfully treated. IN you, fear has become a habit. I suspect that if you get through part of the day without finding one of your usual reasons to feel fearful, you may find that this makes you uneasy, and leads you to seek out another reason for returning to unpleasant but familiar fear.
Do arrange to see a good local psychiatrist for a proper assessment and a discussion of treatment options. Counselling of the CBT form, and some medcations, can greatly help to reduce all these fears, and set you free to find greater pleasure and fulfillment in life.

2
Posted by: Leonie | 2004/11/09

i also grew up as afraid as u are until hubby bought us a huge house where no one could here me even if i scream at the top of my voice. If your day is here its here u cant run away from it, dont spoil your time worrrying about such things, when the time has come for u it has come adn there is nothing u can do to stop that.

So pls enjoy life until that day

Reply to Leonie
Posted by: blackbird | 2004/11/09

you are so afraid because you keep on thinking about these things and what could go wrong. fair, i will not jump off a bridge with a rope tied to my feet, thats pushing the limit, but stop thinking about all the other things.

you might stay away from all these things and a taxi rides you over, or a warthog might apear out of nowhere and try to kill you.

stop looking for fear everywhere and get on with your life, nobody gets out of it alive anyway ...

Reply to blackbird