Question
Posted by: Daleen | 2007/04/09

Affects when pregnant

I am on Simayla citalopram 20mg, just half a pill a day. I want to know because of the fact that I cant stop the medication immediatelly, what effects will it have when I get pregnant?
And what will happen if I only find out I am pregnant about two months or so?
How long will it take to work out of my system?

Dear Daleen
Although citalopram has not been tested in pregnant women, animals and women on studies that got pregnant did not show any side effects on the fetus unless given in very high doses. I think you should discuss with your gyne, to see whether he feels you should continue on the low dose - you getting post natal depression may be worse for your baby than just taking the tablets.