Question
Posted by: CJ | 2006/10/31

Affects of novocaine

Hi there,

I'm due for an insemination on Friday. Yesterday I had to have a filling done - will the novocaine affect the release of the egg and/or quality of the egg?

Also is it safe to do another filling next week?

Please advise.
CJ

Dear CJ

It is very unlikely that novocaine would have any bearing on ovulation or implantation per se. However, if the novocaine is coupled with adrenaline, and should the adrenaline be absorbed systemically, (into the vascular system) then there might be a negative impact on conception. It would therefore be best to avoid novocaine containing adrenaline and this could be discussed with your general practitioner.