Question
Posted by: Lucy | 2005/12/13

Affects of Dagga on baby in utero

Hello - could you please indicate what are the affects on an unborn child if the mother is smoking dagga / marijuana on a daily basis? Can it cause a miscarraige or birth defects?

Smoking marijuana increases the levels of carbon monoxide and carbon dioxide in the blood, which reduces the oxygen supply to the baby. Smoking marijuana during pregnancy can increase the chance of miscarriage, low birth-weight, premature births, developmental delays, behavioral and learning problems. Studies have shown that children who were exposed to marijuana during pregnancy sometimes have problems focusing their attention and difficulty in problem-solving. Children of heavy pot users may have disturbances in their short-term memory, concentration, and judgment. (There's no evidence so far, however, that marijuana use during pregnancy causes attention deficit hyperactivity disorder).

4
Posted by: Patti | 2005/12/13

Agreed Lucy - Unfortunately I cannot help with details but maybe someone else can.

Reply to Patti
Posted by: Lucy | 2005/12/13

I do not believe it is an "idiotic" question, as you say Zane. The question was "what are the affects?", not "are there effects?". Quite a difference, you might agree. The reason I asked was because I would like the educate a smoker to the potential dangers of this by providing them with scientificly backed information. I do not believe that the responses above have provided such explanations. This is a health forum, and therefore should not be used to express such emotive opinions.

Reply to Lucy
Posted by: Zanè | 2005/12/13

How can you even ask such a idiotic question?!

Poor baby. I don't know why people that uses drugs even conceive. There are so many people out there that just can't have babies and would simply give all the money in the world to have one.

What a question? Do disturbing? Just the thought of putting my little girl that i'm carrying through any kind of danger gives me the chill's.

How sick can you get?

Reply to Zanè
Posted by: Gogga | 2005/12/13

Definitely! Please stop!!! It basicly deprives the baby of the oxygen it needs and will cause a lower birth rate. Dagga is a drug - dont put this baby's life at risk!

Reply to Gogga