Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2004/11/29

Aeromax

Hi Doc,

Just a quick question, I'm not a supporter of the Verimark/Glomail products, but the other day I saw something which I think should work. You buy the Aeromax from Verimark, it is 4 resistance bands, a body ball and a mat. You place the resistance bands in a door frame and close the door, while seated in different positions on the body ball or floor. THey claim the resitance works for sculpting, is this true?

I'm liking the product, as it doesn't claim all these magical body defining workings but it's just based on resitance.

Any input. The reason I'm interested is I'm a student and it only cost R400.

Hi Wondering

It would work on activating the muscle, that's for sure. Whether this creates 'sculpting' is another question. When people talk about sculpting, they are creatively stretching the truth. Remember that sculpting involves the visual appearance of gaining muscle and losing fat. The ball and bands will probably help with muscle gain, but as for losing fat, you still need to go to the cardio training, like running, cycling, walking, swimming etc.

The bottom line is that you can do any activity whatsoever to activate muscle - resistance bands is an effective way, provided you do them right, and the ball is also good for core stability (we know that Pilates classes work for developing core stability), but the important thing is that appearance is not always equal to strength. In otherwords, by all means use this equipment to tone the muscle and work on your stability and postural control, but also remember that you still have to do cardio training to get 'sculpted'.