Question
Posted by: cath | 2007/03/20

Aerobics with back problems?

Im 19 year old student and go to Aerobics about 4 times a week & love it. I have had minor back problems for a long time and my Chiropracter keeps them in check. While doing crunches, my lower back starts to ache and i have to stop, Is there any other excise i can do to tone my abs without the horrible back pain?
thanks

You could consider joining a pilates class, which focuses on all-round stability, and will therefore help with the abs and may even be a good thing for your back pain. So that would be first prize and the best thing you can do, in my opinion. Obviously, you should look into getting this back problem sorted out first though, and though you are seeing a chiropractor, maybe you need to see about some other form of treatment - the Pilates may help in this regard, as I mentioned, but perhaps it's a muscular problem that a physio could assist with?