Question
Posted by: E | 2008/01/14

aerobics fanatic

Hi there, hope you are well
I need your advice on how to fit in resistance training into my program because i really enjoy all the aerobic classes that i attend. My program is as follows Monday: I like to do both classes v-box for an hour and than steps for another hour. Wednesdays: Also do both classes Power Hour for an hour and V-box for an hour and Saturdays: body conditioning and 45 min of weight training. I would really like to add two extra days of 30 -45 min weight training but without interfering with my aerobic classes. There are days that my body is quiet stiff can i still do weight training if i am so stiff?

Hi E

In theory/principle, adding the weight training days is relatively simple, because you have two days a week available! In practice, however, your stiffness and fatigue from the training you're already doing makes this a little more difficult.

My suggestion would be that you consider reducing the volume of cardio for a short time while you phase in the weight training, and then perhaps increase the contribution of cardio again later. That's one option. For example, on Mondays and Wednesdays, you are doing back to back cardio classes, which is tough. To now add weights on Tues and Thurs, as you point out will be very difficult, and probably not advisable.

So there are two options. If you can train Tuesday and Thursday, then cut back on the training on Mon and Wed (do one class, in other words) and add weights on Tues and Thurs. After about 3 to 4 weeks, you'll start feeling good again and then you can try your cardio double.

Option 2 is to cut one of the cardio sessions from Mon and Wed, do them on Tues and THurs instead, and that leaves you a gap on the Mon and Tues where you might do a little bit of weight training. Personally, I'd go for the first option, of cutting out a cardio session on Monday and Wednesday and then doing a weight session Tuesday and Thursday, for a while at least.

The other thing is that if you've been doing this for a while, you might need to consdier easing off anyway, because the fact that you are still stiff indicates that your body is not quite tolerating the training, so a week or two of easier training might be a good thing anyway.