Question
Posted by: Lachop23 | 2007/12/12

Aerobic workout on a broken foot?

Hi Doc,

I'm so depressed.

I'm going away in a month's time on holiday and have just broken my foot.
I really need to lose about 5kg's but now have no idea how to lose that weight when I have a broken foot to contend with...
Are there any aerobic exercises you can suggest?
Thanks!
L.

Hi L

Sorry for the delay - missed your question the first time around. I hope you check back and find this one!

It's a shame to have hurt your foot, that would be incredibly frustrating.

Depending on the state of that foot right now (plaster cast, can you bear weight on it, etc? - sometimes you can, sometimes not), you might look at cycling and swimming as the best forms of exercise. Cycling might prove difficult if you can't bear weight, and swimming is of course not an option if it's in plaster or bandaged. But those come to mind.

I think that diet is the other thing you should be focused on, more so now than usual. Diet is often the best way to lose weight, not exercise. Exercise helps because you can improve muscle tone and definition, but for weight loss, diet is better. So with Christmas on the way, and the usual food increase, that might be difficult, but it's important to be mindful of.

Other than this, try not to get too anxious or stressed about it - not worth it! Rather make the most of the time off and hit the new year, when your foot is ready, running!