Question
Posted by: Chris | 2008/06/03

Advise please

Morning, Hope all is good and well with you...

I have a problem regarding my diet. I would like to get into the low single didgets regarding fat loss but at the same time, increase my lean muscle. I go to gym during my lunch break 5 days a week, and 3 days a week I have evening activities, so I push heavy as well as implement quite a bit of cardio into my lifestyle. An example of my daily diet is...
6am- Allbran, milk and whey.
8:30am- Meal replacement (41g protein/ 47g carbs approx 388calories)
11am- brown & wild rice with lean mince (approx 40g carbs from my rice) or durem wheat pasta instead of rice.
after gym- double serving of whey (50g protein) & 3x servings Game (approx 60g carbs)
3pm- tin of dry tuna & 10 provitas
5-5:30pm - Meal replacement as above
sometimes 6:30pm- Small glass of pure orange juice & serving whey (25g protein) before evening activity (starts 7-7:30)
Post workout- 1 1/2 serving Game & serving Whey.
9:30- 3 pieces of steamed hake & serving steamed broccoli & other veg.
Before bed (approx 11pm) serving whey
sometimes at 2am, serving whey...

My confession is that my water intake is poor as well as my fats and sleep. I think that perhaps this could be why I battle to lose fat in increase muscle. I've always been big into my training and tried to eat clean for a while. I've been on this diet for over a month now with no cheats (except on weekends I dont eat as much, maybe miss one or 2 meals) I would like to achieve great amounts of fat loss as well as increase my lean muscle substantially. I'm 23 and weigh 97kg's at about 15% BF. I have always battled to lose fat and build muscle, despite my efforts over the years. I am not fat, just with to have a lean stocky build.
Your help and advise is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Chris...

Dear Chris
The diet you describe is certainly very low in fat, but it is so high in proteins and energy that I suspect you are not losing fat because of the high energy intake. I would recommend that you contact a clinical dietitian who specialises in sports nutrition to get this problem sorted out (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), or contact the Department of Human Nutrition at the University of Potchefstroom who specialise in assisting athletes. Always remember the following: a) if you ingest more energy or kilojoules than you burn, then you will either gain weight or not lose any weight; b) carbohydrates are 'protein-sparing' and also provide sufficient energy at a low kJ level to fuel aerobic exercise that you need to do to lose fat; c) excessive protein intake can be counterproductive and potentially dangerous; d) building muscle tissue takes time and a great deal of dedicated exercise esp with weights. I am concerned that you will damage your kidneys if you keep on using so much protein, so do please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out an individual diet prescription for your regimen.