Question
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/08

Advise on kj intake

I would like a diet that would assure weight loss whiles on medication. How many kilojoules are recommended for a woman thats on 0.5mg Risperdal, not active and maybe getting to much over active thyriod medication?

Dear Zexeon
I am not sure what you mean by 'getting too much over active thyroid medication'? Do you mean that you have an overactive thyroid which is being treated to make it less active, or do you mean that you have an underactive thyroid and are receiving too much Eltroxin or other types of thyroid hormone medication? According to my copy of MIMS, Risperdal can either cause weight gain or loss depending on the patient's individual reaction. With the information at my disposal, I would therefore recommend that you ingest 6300 kJ per day to lose weight. This is the general recommendation for adult women. If you are a man 8400 kJ per day should promote weight loss.

1
Posted by: Zexeon | 2008/06/10

Thanks, I'm on Neo Mercazole to make my thyriod less active. What I meant by maybe getting to much thyriod medication is because peviously I ate about 6000kj for a few days and still gained weight so then I thought a possible decrease in medications could lead to a weight loss but alternatively I could just start out on 6000kj and lessen it till I'll start getting the required results.

Reply to Zexeon