Question
Posted by: Trin | 2006/11/11

Advise me

I currently go to the gym 5 times a week and eat one meal a day, usually cereal with fat-free milk or rolls/bread with a sugar-free drink. I know this is not healthy, but I've become so obsessed with watching what I eat that I can't under no circumstances bring myself to eat more. Overeating and constant cravings are surprisingly not a problem for me.
What kind of repercussions will this have on me, as I am on a quest to lose weight and don't wany anything to come in way ?

Dear Trin
You yourself know that this type of dieting and your obsession with weight all point to an eating disorder. Your food intake is also so minimal that you will develop nutritional deficiencies particularly of protein, vitamins and minerals. Anorexia, bulimia and orthorexia are Eating Disorders, which need to be treated with a team approach. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on: www.riverviewmanor.co.za . It's fine to want to lose weight, but not the way your are doing it.
Go for expert help ASAP.

1
Posted by: Mike | 2006/11/12

As strange as it might sound, eating such a little only once a day will actually slow your metabolism down dramatically.
Your body knows it is being starved and will try and store fat for the famine. Eventually you will lose weight on such low kjs.
You are not getting all the nutrients that your body needs, so in trying to lose weight you are going to make yourself unhealthy.
You need to bring yourself to eat 6 small meals a day. This will increase your metabolism. You need carbs, proteins and fat as part of a balanced diet. There is good fat like in most fish,pilchards, tuna. Also olive oil.
Veggies, yoghurt, fruit, low gi bread, salad, 2lt of water too.
Diet isn't about starving yourself, its about giving your body nutritious healthy food.
So please try and have two meals and then work up to 6 small meals. You will still lose weight believe me.
But this way you will be working with your body, not against it.

Reply to Mike