Question
Posted by: DBB | 2004/11/02

Advise

Morning Doc,

Just to give you an update on what’s been happening of late
I am feeling much better the last month only had two downers
I think the meds are working for me. My X G/F moved out this
Weekend I am so glad for her I still love her with all my heart but
Could not take hurting her anymore with my moods swings so I will love
From a distance.i told her to do make contact with me for at least 3 months
As it is too hard for me unless its an emergency.
Now I need your advice I have two friends that are going through a ruff patch
One of them tried to kill her self last week so I have been seeing her to try and help out
Another friend is on a path to self destruction drinking, drugs and wishes he was dead
He has two kids and a wife that is standing by him . my question is should I continual
Seeing them and try to help them or should I stay away from them I am worried that this
Their problems will have an effect on me .

Pleased to hear of these improvements. 8it's good of you to want to help your two friends, but DO make sure that they get professional help from the right sort of expert --- not only do they deserve that, but as you';re still in a delicate and early stage of your own recovery, don't strain it by getting too deeply involved in their troubles at this stage. Use the example of how you are finding a soution and continuing to work on it, to encourage them to seek, likewise, the proper expert treatment, rather than getting yourself involved in trying personally to solve their problems. As ou know, that is something they have to do for themselves, with expert help.