Question
Posted by: sexless | 2007/07/23

advice pls - urgent

Hi everyone. I have this major issue with my b/f and I really don't know if there is hope for us. Please help. I am on anti-depressants and one of the side effects is that it decreases your libido. I do not think about sex at all and I have zero libido. This is affecting my b/f terribly. He says that if I know that sex is going to make him happy, then I must do it whether I feel like it or not. However, I don't agree. Its not the same as I don't feel like going out tonight and will just go because he wants to. Sex involves my body and if I don't want to, then I don't want to!! Although we get along really well, and he is the best bf I have had, I don't want to see him anymore because of the sex thing. Am I wrong??

As I KEEP on saying ( check the archives of this forum ) ALL antidepressants can produce sexual side-effects in SOME people, NONE of them do it in everyone, so discuss this with your shrink and see if another AD might suit you better.

4
Posted by: John | 2007/07/23

Hopefully, the medication you are on is not permanent. Once your condition improves hopefully your libido will reach its previous levels.

While you mend, your and your boyfriend could have a frank discussion about your conflicting needs. The lack of sex does not necessarily exclude sexual satisfaction by other means for your boyfriend - which excludes the use of your non-responsive body. Tell him that he can help himself, in a manner of speaking, until you get better and that you would appreciate his support and understanding during this time.

Of course, it would unreasonable to condemn him to a life of Standard 8 sex permanently so intimacy between you two would have to resume at some time - your recovery will signal that. If the open discussion does not help, perhaps you could encourage him to see a counsellor with you to resolve this issue.

Reply to John
Posted by: Comms Man | 2007/07/23

Physical intimacy is important part of any balanced relationship. What you feel if he said he never felt like being affectionate, never giving you a hug or telling you how he felt about you. We all need sexual intimacy, some more than others, their is always a compromise. but also approach it with the right loving attitude. nothing worse than sympathy sex. you make a man feel like he is getting charity and he will resent you. I hate to say but you do sound just a bit self centred.

Reply to Comms Man
Posted by: Spooky | 2007/07/23

What's the point of having a girl if there's is never going to be sex? - Could it perhaps not be analogues with marrying a woman who has no vagina?And let's face it - no man will ever do that!
There may be medication that can help you but that we'll leave to our MedicineMan.

Reply to Spooky
Posted by: Echelle | 2007/07/23

If a guy really loves you, then he will be happy no matter what! with or without sex!!

Reply to Echelle