Question
Posted by: DESPERATE | 2007/12/21

ADVICE PLEASE!!!

found stray kitten 5 weeks ago.tail was scabby and started bleeding. vet says looks like the tip of tail was chopped off. put dressing and onto antibiotics. when vet took dressing off, it stuck to
the tip,and bled ,another dressing for 5 days - came off smoothly, and went home. Some hours later, kitten running around and crying,
biting his tail so badly, that he bit the tip right off. Back to vet, who decided only alternative is to amputate the area now damaged by the teeth marks(still bleeding heavily at the time) okay, amputated +-
2+ cm, and put in one stitch. Today stitch came out, healed nicely, BUT flicking his tail, trying to run away from it, so back to vet, who then injected cortisone into tail, and another jab in little butt to sedate the kitten. Instructed us to give 1/4 tablet twice a day(got a few day's supply) Now kitty is thankfully quiet, but am afraid to sedate this little thing till he leaves the tail alone.
Vet sprayed somthing on the tail when previous dressing came off (to prevent biting) but it did not deter him.
Our vet is one of the best on this earth!! but would like to know what else (if anything) we can do, apart from keeping kitty in a zombie state. He is approx10 weeks old now.
After this LOOOOONG story, my thanks in advance

I think yuo have managed this with an Elizabethan collar.

1
Posted by: Melbalina | 2007/12/21

Hi Desperate. Sorry to hear you and kitty have had such a rough time but I think it's awesome you went to all the trouble that you did. Chances are your kitty was biting at his tail from pain. I would highly recommend you finish the cortisone treatment (as this acts as an analgesic too), giving when instructed too. This will give the tail sufficient time to heal as well as keeping kitty in comfort. Please keep us updated on his progress!

Reply to Melbalina