Question
Posted by: dbk | 2007/11/29

advice please

Hi all

We have 2 male labrador/rottweiller cross dogs - Buddy and Caesar, aged 4 years. On Tuesday we adopted an unwanted male jack russel/foxie cross, aged 9 weeks.

Buddy has been neutered, but Caesar hasn't and he is also the dominant dog. I realise that the new male puppy may cause some stir where dominance is concerned. I notice that Caesar does not like the puppy at all, whereas Buddy simply ignores him. Caesar actually lies on the couch staring at Rusty and drools insanely.

Buddy and Caesar stay outside during the day and Rusty stays in the house. We are planning to split our garden in two to give both sets space.

I want advice on the following please:

1. We thought that we should get an additional small breed dog as company for Rusty. Is this a good idea and also, I thought it would be best to get a male as well as a female would cause chaos?

2. How do we assure Caesar of his pack position in the household?

3. Are there ways to make the bonding process easier?

Any additional advice that you may have would be greatly appreciated.

D

Have both males neutered as this will sort out long term dominance problems. Using a DAP vapourizer where the dogs spend time in the house is beneficial.

2
Posted by: Chill | 2007/11/29

Personally, I think you're cruisin' for a bruisin'. I'd never really recommend more than one male dog per household - you're fortunate that your big 'uns have gotten along ok.

Introducing another male to this mix is quite likely to cause them to have to re-establish their pecking order, and you may even find that it disrupts the previously good relationship between the two older dogs.

In addition, the difference in size and power means that the JR would stand very little chance if one of the others decided to challenge him or assert himself.

Also, if a female anywhere in the neighbourhood were to come into season, you may well find you have trouble on your hands.

A DAP vapouriser is a thing that distributes so-called 'Dog Appeasing Pheromones' through the air - like hormones designed to keep dogs calm. I'm sure it works wonderfully well, but a) it's darn expensive, and b) I really wouldn't suggest it for long-term use.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: dbk | 2007/11/29

Ok, so all the males must be neutered? What about introducing yet another pup?

At the risk of sounding clueless, what is a DAP vapourizer?

Reply to dbk