Question
Posted by: Amanda | 2004/11/19

Advice Please

Hi doc
I have written to you before and the advice that you gave me did not work, I followed the diet now for 3 weeks but did not lose even i kg, in fact I am picking up more.

I made a appointment to see a doctor (gp), so that he can test me for insulin ressistance, I just wanted some advice?

What else must I asked the doctor to test me for?

I have a underactive thyroid and according to the last test done, the medication (eltroxin 0.01mg) 1 per day is sufficient enough and the test came back normal.

I also feel very tired all the time, and even my menstruation cycle is irregular and never on time every month.

Please can you tell me what must the doctor test me for as well to make sure the next time I go on the diet you told me about, the diet will work and I will look better.

Thank you for the great advice and for responding back to our questions.
Amanda

Dear Amanda
If you did not lose any weight with the energy-reduce, low-fat diet, then you may well have a problem with insulin resistance or an imbalance in your female hormone (those irregular periods) or even be suffering from depression (your constant tiredness) which can cause weight gain. Ask the dr to test your glucose tolerance and insulin levels and if necessary also your female hormone levels. Also consider carefully if you may be suffering from underlying depression as this may well contribute to weight gain and inability to lose any weight. If you are suffering from depression it also needs to be treated.
Let's first get a diagnosis and then see what type of diet will help for the weight loss (e.g. if you are insulin resistant then you would need to have a specific diet worked out for you by a dietitian which concentrates on foods with a low glycaemic index).
Holding thumbs that you can pinpoint what is causing the problem.