Question
Posted by: Carol | 2004/02/17

Advice please

Hi CS and any other helpful soul out there.

we find ourselves in rather a tricky situation at work .. we work for a large company that repairs and maintain trucks hubs is a diesel mac and i do the office work ... now we have run into huge problems with our new manager he is 50 going on 102 and has no interest in anything....

Now in general what has happened is the staff have all decided they are manageing directors because there is no discilpine.

Now my 16 yr old son who is busy with N1 works on a casual basis in the afternoon after college.. Garth is difficult .. he is a teenager ... but if he handled firmly and i mean firmly he is fine... My half dead boss has taken a huge dislike to the boy and i have never interfered at all garth has to learn the realities of the adult world .... if he wants things he has to work .. so he must learn to live with a certain amount of lifes unpleasantness ... garth handles this fairly well but does complain about being victimised which hubs and I have seen a few times ....

Now this afternoon one of the many "Managing Directors Threatened to hit him ... unfortunately I heard!!... I have no idea what led to the threat but IMO its irrelevant

I have two problems here ... Garth is technically at 16 yrs a child who is being threatened by an adult , And as far as Im aware the labour law says you dont just threaten people ... its not considered nice !!!!!

I then discover that this child is expected to do the work normaly done by mechanics .... Now i wouldnt have a problem with this... but what he does isnt being supervised !!!! if there is an accident who will get blamed ?

im very peed with this whole affair and have written a letter to head office ... I have also removed Garth from the workshop pending an investigation. I have also made it very clear that IM not defending his behaviour I cant cos i have no idea what happened yet ..... But i feel that the "managing one" had he had a problem with garth he should have gone to see the manger '

BTW Garth did go and complain to the manager but he was told if he doesnt like it to take his things and f ()* off.

Im not trying to get Garth out of any trouble here ... but i cant have him being threatened .

Do you think Im right.

Dear Carol,
Apart from anything else, this situation shows that it is rarely wise for several members of one family to work in the same company, as the potential for conflict of interest is so high. I'd like to be helpful, but as even you don't know exactly what happened between G and his co-workers and supervisor, we can hardly comment on the justice of the case ; and you do need to be cautious that an excess of parental zeal doesn't imperil the good jobs you and hubs have and need to retain. If a youngster is being expected, without proper training and supervision, to service heavy vehicles, this raises a public safety issue, and that in itself might be worth discussing with management.

1
Posted by: volcano | 2004/02/17

It is not anybody's duty to handle employees firmly. An employee should toe the line, especially a casual who stil hopes to get employment. If this firm treated their employees inhumanely you and your husband would not have stayed and stil organised casual employment for your son. I think that you (as we all do) want your managers and supevisors to see you son as you do and ignore his faults. Unfortunately all they see is a snotty little teenager who could well do with a clout. Maybe Garth is not ready for employment yet. ' You removed him from the workshop' shows that it is not a good thing for kids to work with their parents, especially mothers who intefere. You should send him home, teach him to be a usefull member of society and be thankful that you and 'hubs' have jobs.

Reply to volcano