Question
Posted by: Davina | 2006/07/20

ADVICE OR ASSISTANCE REQUIRED

A dear friend and huge animal lover, is in need of the assistance of a good vet for her year old Boerboel.

She took Podgy to the vet yesterday and she apparently has a congenital problem with her knee and the knee cap pulls out of the joint. Her regular vet says that the only way to repair such a condition is to operate and shorten the muscle and do some grafting of skin. This is not only a terribly invasive operation but also extremely costly.

Make no mistake, there is nothing my friend would not do for her dogs but she does not have that type of money as she also has 3 other dogs in her care, two of which are problem cases and need very specific feeding and care and also a menagerie of cats, who found there way into her home (something I know we all relate to).

She is considering a second bond on her home but this takes time.

Can anyone assist with advice or the name of any good vets (or army vets) who are more affordable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Warm regards

Davina

When you say army vet; does your friend work for the army? They can usually have their animals treated by the army vet but they will need to make enquiries. Yes unfortunately surgical procedures are costly but to not do the procedure will result in premature arthritis, pain and lameness.

3
Posted by: Chinta | 2006/07/25

Is it luxating patella? If so I'm kinda sure there are meds she can give the dog instead of the op. As far as I know they tend to stay away from operation as that usually causes more probs in the long run...

Reply to Chinta
Posted by: Carol | 2006/07/20

Jax is right , this is how im neutering and spaying my orphans , negotiate with the vet and pay it off . My vet is fantastic .

Reply to Carol
Posted by: jax | 2006/07/20

Davina, suggest that she speaks to her vet first about paying for the op over a few months. Most vets are understanding about huge amounts that don't quite fit in your budget, and if she is a regular client, will help her to make a plan.
Jax

Reply to jax