Posted by: 19 | 2008/11/01

Advice on rregular periods +contraceptiv


I' m a 19yr old girl and I' ve been having irregular periods, like sometimes only in 40+ days time. I also suffer from horrible pains when they do come. Should I be worried? What causes my periods to be irregular?

I' ve been with my boyfriend for two years now and we' re thinking of having sex but I want to go on the pill first. Do I have to go see a doctor first or can I get contraceptives without a prescription? And if I don' t need one, what do I choose that has the least side-effects?

Lastly at what age should a girl see a gyne? My mom says only when i' m in my 30ties or if I have a problem.

Please can someone answer my questions!!


Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageGynaeDoc

The irregular periods are probably because you are not ovulating. There are many reasons for this. If you only started menstruating in the past 2-3 years, it may take a while for the cycle to settle down. As you do have a problem - irregular periods- it is best to see a gynaecologist and not just start the Pill on your own.

Best wishes

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Anonymous | 2009/04/30

im irregular with my periods i have 2 a month really heavy and clotting quite bad, i take the pill but sometimes forget for 2 days at the most. i have never been so bad i had my ovaries checked when my youngest was about 6 months and they were fine. could it just be because im forgetful taking the pill at times and my body dont know when to bleed?

Reply to Anonymous
Posted by: be | 2009/04/07

hi i had a ceasarian 7years back and had no problems till 2 months ago just below the cut i found a lump but is mostly small untill i start my period and then gets bigger and tender what can this be

Reply to be
Posted by: betty | 2009/04/07

my period start normal and on time but some times it gos for 8,9,10 days why is that

Reply to betty
Posted by: mel | 2008/11/05

just tell yr mom that you are concerned about yr irregular periods and need to see a dr or gyne about it as its not normal to have irregular periods anyway so i' m sure she will take u for that reason.

Reply to mel
Posted by: 19 | 2008/11/02

Thanks Mel.

But Mmmm I don' t really have a regular gp...
How do I convince my mom to take me me to see one (gp/ gyne) without really telling her I' m sexually active?

Reply to 19
Posted by: mel | 2008/11/01

a lady can start going to a gyne as young as 16yrs or as soon as they become sexually active. there are many diff types of pills a had to try 4 diff types before founding the right one for me. the pill will also help with your irregular periods as well as the pain. i would rather go see a doctor, yr normally gp and they can advise the right pill for you as there are so many out there.once you sexually active you must go for paps smears once a year with your gyne.
hope all works out for you

Reply to mel

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.