Question
Posted by: K | 2007/06/04

ADVICE ON FRIENDS 10 YEAR OLD CHILD

My friend has a 10 year old son who has suffered from the following symptoms for most of his life:
ADHD
Hyper sensitive to touch
Paces up and down when talking to you.
Has episodes where he goes off the rails and becomes incredibly strong and violent - can pick up concrete benches and throw them accross the yard etc, etc.
When he becomes irritated he rants and raves, swears, calls her the most horrible names etc.
When he has these terrible episodes he gets a kind of animal like fight and flight reaction i.e. bites, scratches when someone tries to restrain him, but does not remember anything when he "comes out of it".
He is only lots of medication including lithium which he has just been put on again in the last week after he was expelled from a private remedial school he attended. He was even put in Weskoppies for about a month, but they could not see any problems that he shows at school or home.
Otherwise he is a sweet little boy when fully medicated.
My problem is that I would love to be able to make some suggestions to his mom when discussing the issue without sounding like I dont know anything.
Can you make some suggestions.

Sorry, but there's really no way I can make a useful diagnosis or suggestions at long-distance and at second-hand. A second( or third !) opinion from a good lo9cal child shrink who can assess the child and advise based on that, would be the most useful

2
Posted by: sabdy | 2007/06/05

OMG!

"Otherwise he is a sweet little boy when fully medicated."

There is something horribly wrong here.......

Reply to sabdy
Posted by: RMC | 2007/06/05

You can't really offer much advice to the real problem if you don't know much about it. Having had a friend who had a child kicked out of three pre primary schools for throwing furniture, blah blah and so on -- you need to be a friend and show her that you can accept the child as well. this child incidentally went to another pre primary school last year after having been home with the nanny for a year and they did wonders with him - by saying "he must learn to deal with us, we must learn to deal with them"<br><br>Just a question - where did he learn all this foul language? From the other kids at the special schools or what? <br><br>The hyper sensitivity is "treatable" - tell me - food wise does he spit most of the stuff out as with these kids something like mash can taste like razor blades to them.<br><br>Why was he taken off the lithium?? If it was helping him he shouldn't have come off. My child is on Risperdal which is a psychotropic drug but I've seen the difference if he does not take it. And if he was on Lithium while at Weskoppies the behaviour would have been different.<br><br>This friend's child was also two personalities. At home he was sort of okay but if he was put in a stressful environment or with lots of kids he would freak out like that.<br><br>I've been through having been told negative things about my child and been to all the paeds and specialists --- and seen how much rejection he went through and even more so the rejection my friend and her child went through - the best thing you can do is be a friend to them. Offer an ear and encourage them and remind her of the things he is good at.<br><br>

Reply to RMC