Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/05/10

Advice on COP

Hi Guys

I have been posting on this forum for some time, i am posting this again cause i know some of you here might have gone through the same situation or you know of someone who might have been in the same situation as mine.
I know in COP marriage, legally you have to share the division of your estate, but in my case i haven't stayed with this man for as long as we've been married, now i filed for divorce, he went to lawyers and he demand 50% share of our matrimonial assets, he has never contributed anything to this marriage, is there no way he could forteit, i have raised the child alone, and i supported him for 4 years when he was not working, guys please help there is a lot at stake.

An interesting and troubling legal question -- I hope one of our readers with experience in this field can respond. We used to have several with impressive knowledge of divorce law and regulations. Good luck !

3
Posted by: hi | 2007/05/11

hi, I'm a lawyer, yup, he is normally entitled to 50% of your assets, but you can claim forfeiture if he has never contributed to the joint estate. I suggest you see a good lawyer as soon as possible to sort this out and to get rid of him as this is not a normal matter and is very complicated.

Reply to hi
Posted by: L | 2007/05/11

You need a good lawyer on this one. According to law, he is entitled to 50% of your assets and liabilities(dont forget about that one as well).

Get a lawyer, I m sure based on the information you ve stated, he can fight for you.

Reply to L
Posted by: Maria | 2007/05/10

Post your question to the Divorce Support Group, seem to be some knowledgeable people there.

Reply to Maria