Posted by: Lee | 2007/05/10

Advice on COP

Hi Guys

I have been posting on this forum for some time, i am posting this again cause i know some of you here might have gone through the same situation or you know of someone who might have been in the same situation as mine.
I know in COP marriage, legally you have to share the division of your estate, but in my case i haven't stayed with this man for as long as we've been married, now i filed for divorce, he went to lawyers and he demand 50% share of our matrimonial assets, he has never contributed anything to this marriage, is there no way he could forteit, i have raised the child alone, and i supported him for 4 years when he was not working, guys please help there is a lot at stake.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

An interesting and troubling legal question -- I hope one of our readers with experience in this field can respond. We used to have several with impressive knowledge of divorce law and regulations. Good luck !

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: hi | 2007/05/11

hi, I'm a lawyer, yup, he is normally entitled to 50% of your assets, but you can claim forfeiture if he has never contributed to the joint estate. I suggest you see a good lawyer as soon as possible to sort this out and to get rid of him as this is not a normal matter and is very complicated.

Reply to hi
Posted by: L | 2007/05/11

You need a good lawyer on this one. According to law, he is entitled to 50% of your assets and liabilities(dont forget about that one as well).

Get a lawyer, I m sure based on the information you ve stated, he can fight for you.

Good luck

Reply to L
Posted by: Maria | 2007/05/10

Post your question to the Divorce Support Group, seem to be some knowledgeable people there.

Reply to Maria

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.