Question
Posted by: Zoey | 2007/11/28

ADVICE NEEDED - THEFT

I moved into a granny flat in October, there was a lot of work that needed to be done and on instruction of the owner , the caretaker (who lived on site) needed to fix these problems. I went away for the weekend and when I came back saw that someone entered by flat and took my TV and home theater system (which is about R3000), on investigation we found that the caretaker also took the owner's car. We have never seen the caretaker again. I have moved out this weekend and I need to know if the owner is responsible for paying me for the items, I cant just leave with nothing, as the caretaker used the key to take my things.

sorry to hear about that, but it's obviously an entirely legal question, on which I can't comment. I think you need to consult a lawyer. If the owner selected the caretaker and gave hima ccess to your flat while you were away, the owner may be liable,

1
Posted by: Regular | 2007/11/28

Unfortunately the owner can't be held responsible, but you can claim from your insurance.

Reply to Regular