Question
Posted by: Bella | 2007/04/11

Advice needed - new dog!!

HI everyone, thank yu very much for all your replies. I got another dog this morning, a mistreated St Bernard, lovely but shell-shocked from expereinces in previous home. The 2 dogs don't seem to get along, want to fight it out. She (nu dog) is trying to bite him)

Got some tranquilizers from vet for firts day or 2. Will it pass? What can I do to help them get along? I am showering my Lab with love and attention not to make him feel left out.

DAP vapourizer in the home wher ethe dogs are most of the time. It will take time for them to get used to each other and they will try to develop a hierarchy. You being the "pack leader" will need to take control of the situation. Schooling them is essential because getign them to respond to voice commands will be far easier than wrestling with such a big dog.

5
Posted by: Chill | 2007/04/11

Just give them a chance to settle - on their own terms.

Do NOT 'shower' the old dog with love and attention - rather withhold both for a few days - you're upsetting any chance of 'balance' between the two.

Anyway, with this new critter in the house, your lab will be FAR too busy to be 'feeling left out'!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: KATE | 2007/04/11

Hi, I also adopted a full grown Alsation mix, 2 yrs ago, he had also been back and forth from animal shelters. Any way when I introduced him to my spayed street special and my neutered dalmation, they HATED him. He was totally unsettled. Also being a dog that was never allowed inside to being welcomed inside at my house was hard for him. At first he ripped up all my outside furniture cushions. Ripped up my duvet cover and bedding. He weed inside ( on the same stool), until i removed that. Anyway after quite along time, and after lots of love, he has settled in. It took about 4 days for my dogs to accept him. I tried not to over do anyones attention during this time .He loves all inside comfort now( he learnt that quickly). His name is Storm, and at the time I got him I wrote in and got advise from this forum. He is gentle but bouncy. My 8 year old daughter adores him. Iam so glad we have him, although it was quite tough at times.

Reply to KATE
Posted by: Kate | 2007/04/11

Hi Bella

How old is the St Bernard? and how old is the Lab?
How did you introduce them - was it on neutral territory?
When did they start fighting - immediately or after a while?
What happened just before they started fighting?
What exactly is a tranquiliser going to do? - this sounds a bit odd to me I must say.
What do you know of the St Bernard? Has she ever been around other dogs?

I realise that you are trying to save a mistreated dog but you have to go into this very carefully or you could end up miserable and having to rehome one of them.

Maybe keep them seperated until the new dog settles and then get them out to a park or neutral territory to reintroduce - remember to do this slowly as 1st impressions last.

Oh and it might be a good idea to feed seperately as food is a trigger for fighting.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: bella | 2007/04/11

thank you, I really feel sorry for her and can see that she is fileld with love, just very insecure
Will be patient

Reply to bella
Posted by: Natasha | 2007/04/11

I had a similar situation a couple of years ago where I rescued a badly abused dog from some terrible people. She was very snappy with my other dogs when I first got her, and I was told by the vet that it was probably because she had to "fight to stay alive" up to the point that I rescued her. It took her a while and lots of love to turn into the most lovable dog I have. She is now the protector of all my other dogs and has become a real mother hen !!
Sometimes all it takes is some patience, perseverance and lots of love !!
Good luck with her, and am sure it will pass with time.

Reply to Natasha