Question
Posted by: Limpho | 2010/07/07

Advice needed

Hi doc, I hope you can help me.
I was on the injection for 2 months where I gained 15kg in just 6 months and would really like to lose the weight. Being on the injection gave me craving and even though I have stopped the injection I still can stop eating.
I have made a few changes on my diet, I substituted Pronutro (banana) with Pronutro Wholewheat and I nolonger add sugar, I drink 1 cup coffee in the morning and green tea during the day instead of 5-6 cups coffee with cremora and 3 sugars. Sometimes I would eat 2 choc a day maybe 3-4 times a week- I have cut down to 1-2 every 2 weeks!
I still can seem to get rid of the sugar craving which causes me to eat about 5 apples a day!  -(
Lunch and supper is normally rice/samp/pap and beef/chicken stew I try to limit my portions. Will this help me lose weight or I need to execise as well? I have IBS and mostly bloated and constipated but the green tea helps me with that but everytime I eat something I get stomach cramps! Is it safe to drink 3-4 cups green tea?
Thanks doc.

Dear Limpho
It is most unfortunate that some women do gain weight when they use female hormone treatments like the injection. You are on the right track with your dietary changes by using the Pronutro Wholewheat instead of standard Pronutro because the former has a low-GI and should keep your blood sugar levels stable for longer and thus prevent cravings. It is also excellent that you have stopped using cremora and all that sugar in your hot beverages. However, these changes may not have lowered your total energy intake for the day sufficiently to cause significant weightloss. Because you suffer from IBS, bloating and constipation, I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), if possible. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for you to counteract the IBS and the constipation while promoting weightloss. The dietitian will also advise if you need to consult a physician for some medical help with your IBS because it must be so unpleasant to always have stomach cramps when you eat. It should be sae to drink the green tea which also has a slimming effect, but I am wondering if this tea is not making your IBS worse? Once you have seen the dietitian and have obtained a diet prescription and are feeling better, it would be a good idea to start doing regular exercise (brisk walking, cycling, skipping, joining a gym or Walk for life) for 30 min a day to stimulate your metabolism and improve weightloss.
Holding thumbs that you start losing weight and can also get the IBS sorted out.

1

Dear Limpho