Question
Posted by: Shai | 2007/12/18

advice needed

hi there

Thank you for your valuable advice.

I have been working out for a year and half already. i have lost 30kg due to healthy lifestyle, i.e., excersize and healthy eating. i however need definition. i need to tone and define my muscles. at the moment i do mostly cardio:

. 45 minutes on treadmill (10 minutes walking to warm up, 30 minutes running, 5 minutes walking to cool down)
. 10 minutes stepper
. skipping 200 times
. stomach excersizes

This happens 3 times a week and the other 2 days i alternate with Taebo. What are your thoughts around this?

Best wishes for the festive season...

Hi Shai

Well done on your results so far! To have lost 30 kg the right way is a great achievement!

The one change that you can look at making on your training is to increase the proportion of weight training - I suspect you are already aware of this. Presently, your focus is entirely on cardio, with the exception of the stomach exercises.

And while I'm a fan of cardio and think it should remain the focus, you do have some room to build in more weight work. For example,what I woudl suggest is that you simplify this gym session by knocking 15 minutes off the treadmill (so do 30 min), then cutting the skipping down to 100 (if that), and the stepper to 5 minutes. That should free up about 20 to 25 minutes on your session and I'd recommend some circuit training in that time. Your gym will have a dedicated circuit section, and the simplest thing to do is one or two rounds of that circuit. That's the starting point. Later on, you can begin to focus on specific muscle groups where you wish to get more definition.

Good luck!
Ross

1
Posted by: ALLYCAT | 2007/12/19

Welldone on loosing that much weight and working so hard. To get definition you HAVE to add in weight training. Dont be scared of the weights. Good Luck.

Reply to ALLYCAT