Posted by: Charlie | 2004/02/18

Advice for Pschologist

Hi Cybershrink,
Need some help here, in trying to find a respected and reputable Pschologist, what is the best way to go about it.
I have picked up the yellow pages, and there are lists of Doctors there, now how does one look to see if they are registered, or is it wise to go through your own personal GP etc
Am I just paranoid? as I feel that by trying to solve some life issues, we would like to be in good capable hands and minds.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

Dear CHarlie,
Highly commendable caution ! While not every properly registered and/or trained shrink might be listed in the Yellow Pages, those who are listed, as Psychiatrists or Psychologists, would be duly registered practtioners --- it is an offense for someone unqualified to pretend to be a psychologis or psychiatrist. So far as I can see, if they choose to describe themselves as a Counsellor, though, anything goes. Some are indeed trained and qualified, others have no qualifications beyond their own opinions.
Generally, it's a good idea to ask one's own GP ( or, also, to rely on the experiences of sensible friends, if they have such experience ) as the GP is likely to have referred people to several shrinks, and to know how well it worked out.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.