Question
Posted by: Debra | 2003/02/10

Advice for a pregnant woman who has no appetite

I am 11 weeks pregnant and am trying to eat correctly, but, I have not appetite. I get hungry and can eat hardly anything. I am also concerned about my weight because I am carrying about 10 kgs already. I am cycling for half an hour at least 3 times a week. I am really worried about my weight, but my main concern is for baby. I am eating well, veggies, fruit, water etc but it is about half of what I usually eat. Must I panic or will this pass?
thanks

Dear Debra
I think you should discuss this lack of appetite with your gynae or dr just to make sure that there is no physical problem. It is however, often difficult to eat during the first trimester when fluctuating hormone levels can make you feel nauseous and full. If you are eating fruit, vegetables, low-fat milk and dairy products, and wholewheat bread and cereals with small quantities of lean meat, fish and eggs, then I don't think you need worry at this stage. One does not have to eat for 2 when one is pregnant. I trust you have checked with your dr about the exercise and he/she has given approval. You may well find that your appetite returns in the 2nd trimester and that is when you will have to be careful not to overeat and to gain too much additional weight.
Enjoy your pregnancy